Around the World: The Devadasi System of India

Late last night I stumbled upon a video on Youtube. It was titled Prostitutes of God (Documentary). I was intrigued by the title. Surely, the person who uploaded the video gave it a sickening title just to grab peoples attention. I soon found out how wrong I was.

Devadasi is a name given to young girls in certain lower castes of India who are dedicated to worship and service the temple of a deity named Yellamma.  Originally their responsibilities included cleaning and taking care of the temple, performing rituals and dancing. They were given a high status in their society.
In more recent times, the responsibilities, status and welfare of Devadasis has changed drastically.  Young girls are led into a life of prostitution by their own parents under the false guise of worship and dedication to Yellamma.  Their innocence is sold to the highest paying patron. Once the wealthy patron moves on to their next conquest, the Devadasi has no choice based on their cast system but to work as a prostitute all in the name of Yellamma. This is the only option her society gives her in order to take care of her family.

As I watched the 30 minute documentary, I couldn't help thinking how and why human beings continue to use religion and culture to abuse children, especially girls. Where is their compassion and empathy? Is it all just about survival? I know that I can bring awareness to an issue but I am left wondering what more I can do to eradicate the problem?

Link to the Youtube Video: Prostitutes of God (Documentary)
Link to more information on this deplorable practice: Devadasi

Popular Posts